1 hour, 25 min
Makes one pie
7 cups peeled, cored, thinly sliced tart apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon tapioca
2 tablespoons butter
1 large egg white
1/2 tablespoon warm water
Double pie crust, prepared
1. PREPARE recipe for double crust pie, using a 9-inch pie plate. Roll out dough for bottom crust and place in pie plate according to recipe directions.
2. HEAT oven to 425°F.
3. TOSS apples and blueberries in large bowl with lemon juice. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, flour and tapioca. Mix well. Spread evenly in prepared pie crust. Cut butter into small pieces and place on top of filling.
4. ROLL out dough for top crust, place onto filled pie and finish edges according to pie crust recipe directions. Cut slits in top crust or prick with fork to vent steam.
5. BEAT egg white with warm water. Brush on top crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Put a strip of foil around the edge of crust while baking to prevent excessive browning.
6. BAKE 35 minutes. Remove foil; bake an additional 15 minutes or until crust is lightly golden and filling is bubbling.